Wednesday 31 August 2022

August Round-Up


While I have never been a big fan of Flight of the Conchords, I used to obsess over their song "Bowie". It was such a clever parody and its deconstruction of David Bowie was so hilarious that I had it on repeat for weeks back in 2008. Which is why I was mildly curious about Bret McKenzie's first solo album called Songs Without Jokes (★★★). What an unfortunate title, though. It is a good album - but I will probably never hear it again. An excellent little EP could be culled from it ("This World" and "Tomorrow Today" are both playful and melodically satisfying), but most of its middle section is one softball after another. 

There is, however, not a dull moment on The Chats' sophomore album. Get Fucked (★★★is the epitome of fun. 28 minutes of straight-up punk rock with no highlights and no lowlights. I guess I want a little more personality in this kind of music. Besides, "I've Been Drunk In Every Pub In Brisbane" is a great title but you can tell how it goes before you actually listen to it. A good album - but I'm sick and tired of good albums. 

Which is where Ezra Furman comes in. Oh I've been waiting. All Of Us Flames (★★★) is a blast. It is well-written, diverse, wild and full of Ezra's unmistakable charisma. Rooted in American folk music, the album never loses its edge - be that catchy rockers ("Throne", "Lilac and Black") or intimate ballads (sometimes maybe a little too intimate, e.g. the first line in "Come Closer"). What a brilliant collection of songs. And yes, I am still in awe of that vocal melody and Ezra's performance in "I Saw The Truth Undressing". Unless something extraordinary happens, All Of Us Flames will definitely end up in my top ten for this year.

Finally, I got to hear the new critically acclaimed album by Cass McCombs titled Heartmind (★★★). It is languid, beautifully executed soft rock where 'soft rock' is not meant as a derogatory term. Eight lovely, slightly meandering songs that make for a great journey but leave little in terms of aftertaste.