Sunday 21 October 2018

Dekalog


There is no easy way of watching Krzysztof Kieślowski's masterpiece. And there is no way of making that experience less than memorable. 

Oddly, this brings me to Paul Dano. I have once read about his experience of watching Dekalog. Apparently, Paul's idea of impressing his then girlfriend was to watch all ten films with her, over a whole night, one by one. 

Which is like listening to Goldberg Variations on the bus through one flimsy earphone or else reading The Sound and the Fury while talking to someone else who is in the room. 

The story stuck with me because really, you do not need any props. These ten films, each shot on a measly budget of ten thousand dollars, are some of art's most impeccable creations. File alongside Pnin and Seize the Day

I know when I finished watching Dekalog: Eight, and saw the face of an old tailor peering through the window, I felt this was the most devastating ending I would ever see. And it is, to this day. 

There is nothing you can say after the screen goes black and you hear that snippy piano. There is nothing you can say - never mind experience.