Sunday 12 May 2019

Robert Forster in Bonn


It must be some sort of mental list I compiled ages ago, one that I have stuck to quite religiously. Luke Haines? In the grand and somewhat bizarre setting of an Anglican church. Swans? In the midst of the blood-pumping, ear-splitting tour following the release of The Seer. Spiritualized? Doing the full rendition of Ladies And Gentlemen, We Are Floating In Space. Nick Cave? Anywhere, until the end of times. Etc. In fact, the only artist from my list I am unlikely to ever see live is Tom Waits. First, it would have to be late at night, in a decrepit jazz bar, behind a battered old piano. Second, the man has vowed to never play live again. 

Robert Forster, however, has just performed in the Harmonie club in Bonn, and it was special. I could probably write a lot about the experience that began with a glass of red wine and finished with Forster answering my question about his favourite song by Nick Cave (his perfect rock and roll answer was, of course, "Tupelo"), but I will just narrow it down to ten things: 

1. Robert Forster is a man of impeccable taste.
2. The instrumental interplay during "A Poet Walks" is pure orgasm, and the violinist was not even in the house.
3. The whole band were wearing shirts, which is the way it should be. Never trust bands who wear T-shirts onstage.
4. Robert dismisses all requests. As well he should. 
5. It is interesting to follow his facial expressions when he is singing. There is a lot of feeling there, and memories, and pain.
6. In terms of song choice, the biggest surprise was perhaps "Twin Layers of Lightning". 
7. There is a moment during every great show when it all clicks to the extent that the experience becomes transcendental. This time, it was the spirited version of "In The Core Of The Flame".
8. Sadly, no young people in the audience. Tragic times.
9. A couple of screw-ups (like Robert messing up the beginning of "I Love Myself (And I Always Have)") were actually quite charming.
10. His German is perfect. The man is a fucking rock star.

I could of course complain about some omissions in the setlist (I would have given a lot to hear him play "The Clarke Sisters", "Danger In The Past", "Did She Overtake You" or "I've Been Looking For Somebody"), but as long as he did "Spring Rain"... well, what more could you possibly wish? I laughed and I cried.

This was uncanny convergence, Robert Forster and the city of Bonn. Because if you were to ask me to pick a place in Germany where I would love to see him play, Bonn is what I would choose. Bonn is Lucca of Germany, a city of great elegance and history that is neither too big nor too small. It is the perfect place for a concert of Robert Forster, and it is the place where I would love to see him play again. In other words, I am afraid I am not taking him off that mental list any time soon.