Friday 12 January 2018

Moonlight, Missouri


Alas, I will never see Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. This fact is neither here nor there, but it saddens me a lot because I think highly of Frances McDormand and because it might be a really good film. But I'm just not going to touch it.

Nothing poisons art more than politics, and now that the black dress show is over and the film got its Golden Globe for the best film of the year, I will always see these two facts as one. Art can be brutal and unforgiving but as soon as something tampers with its fundamental innocence, directly or indirectly, it stops being art and becomes a compromise. 

Likewise, I have never seen Moonlight, and never will. #OscarsSoWhite killed that film back in 2016, and no amount of glowing reviews and genuine talent can save it now. Because the great thing about art is that it doesn't require a context.