Friday 11 December 2015

An Invitation


With age comes the realization that you can take on any type of horror. Ghosts, blood, you can work it all out. You can deconstruct it. These days, the effect of The Conjuring would not be nearly as powerful as it was a few years ago. It would wear off soon and perhaps even make me smile.

But ever since I watched Polanski’s Rosemary’s Baby… 

Suffice it to say that the final scene is still with me. To this day, I won’t take on horror remotely revolving around religious sects or cults. This year’s fantastic documentary Going Clear proved yet again what organized religion can stand for, and I really should have backed away from going to a late night screening of An Invitation. An American thriller so unsettling and so disgusting (and probably brilliant) that the terrorist attacks on Paris I read about in a taxi, on my way home, at 5 a.m., seemed merely a continuation of what came before.