Thursday 22 October 2015

Year by year: 1976


The Modern Lovers – S/T




I’ve always wanted to like Jonathan Richman. But I never could. I like quirky and I like a memorable tune. I like a person who shuns the idea of being a critics’ darling and abandons the original sound and then hides in the woods for the rest of his career. However, Jonathan Richman has always left me cold.

But that’s after one of the greatest albums of all time. That’s post-1976.

You are not supposed to listen to music depending on your mood, that’s cheap. The Modern Lovers is case in point. I can play it at any moment in my life and find something to make me feel better or, at the very least, worse. That doesn’t even have anything to do with the fact that “Roadrunner” is uplifting, “Hospital” is depressing and “Pablo Picasso” is hilarious (still; I don’t know how). 

It’s to do with the fact there’s nothing in this world like full-blown charisma of a shy artist. It has felt diluted since then.