Tuesday 31 August 2021

Album of the Month: LOVE WILL BE REBORN by Martha Wainwright


Before I get to Martha Wainwright, a few words about Pressure Machine. I have to admit that I never cared for The Killers (despite the obvious charms of "Mr. Brightside"), and the single point when Brandon Flowers really made sense to me was when he released "Tranquilize" back in 2007. I remember being in England the following summer and a small girl approached me at some party. "What do you think of The Killers?" she asked. "Not much", I said. "Except for that song with Lou Reed". Well, this month The Killers have finally released an album I like. It does have a few trite folk melodies and a little too much Bruce Springsteen about it, but I can safely say that Pressure Machine is excellent and Brandon Flowers really did it this time. 

Still, ever since I heard that Martha Wainwright had her new album in August, I knew this deal was done. She does not release them too often, but when she does, it means she has something to say. And Love Will Be Reborn is just as confessional and hard-hitting as ever. Nothing quite as powerful as "Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole" but a fine collection of songs nonetheless.



A Martha Wainwright song is this emotional outburst with an impressionist space-folk melody and stripped-down lyricism (this album could be described as her post-divorce album). There are hooks but they are not immediate and never straightforward. Still, I do not think there is a single song here that does not have a moment of absolute songwriting genius. It could be a melodic twist or it could be a vocal twist or it could be both. "Being Right", for instance, has everything - it features a calm and almost relaxing parts and then it has the sort of rabble-rousing chorus that she pulls off so effortlessly. I have seen some reviewers question the quality of "Justice" but those reviewers do not pay attention. There is so much melodic intensity bubbling under the seemingly meandering tune.

Still, my favourites (other than "Being Right") are the opening "Middle Of The Lake" that displays the full spectrum of Martha Wainwright's vocal prowess (from childishness to sensuality), the phenomenal slow-burning "Report Card" (my favourite vocal moments on the whole album are those low bluesy intonations she does so beautifully) and the elegant closing "Falaise de Malaise" that will break your heart even if you do not know a word in French. Even despite its most confessional moments (and there are many), Love Will Be Reborn never once lets you forget that it is, first and foremost, art


RECOMMENDED THIS MONTH:


Martha Wainwright - Love Will Be Reborn

The Killers - Pressure Machine