Thursday 19 March 2015

Verse #4. Line #6.


This could mean nothing to you, but I don’t think you can top that line. It’s too imperfect to become any better.

I don’t want to talk about how great that song is, even by Dylan’s mid-60s standards. I don’t want to mention the melody or the lyrics. With Bob Dylan circa 1966, you have to take those things for granted. What you absolutely can’t take for granted, is that sixth line from the final verse.

Because Dylan fluffs it. 

The song is "I Want You", and the line goes like this: And because the time was on his side. But it’s never that simple, is it. There’s a short, half-second hobble before the word ‘because’, and it broke my heart back when I first heard it years ago. One short stumble lasting eternity. Like I say, this could mean nothing to you. Chances are, you wouldn’t even notice. To me, though, it’s what music is about. Raw, imperfect and absolutely wonderful.