Friday 24 April 2015

Horror


We don’t share it, because for each one of us the essence of horror is different. I’m not even sure what that horror is for me. However, I do remember this.

Once I was at a concert in a pub (never mind) and saw a 15-year old kid standing to the left of me. I had just finished my pint and was basically ready for the dodgy live experience. But this kid was phenomenal. He was doing 3, 4, 5 pints all in a row. With no pauses and, rather impressively, no effect. He still remembered all the lyrics. I was dizzy. He was sober, pushing stage divers up the ceiling. 

But I did not envy him, not one bit. Because on a slightly larger scale, I felt that was the horror. This numbness, this paralysis that distills you. Imagine waking up in the morning and not feeling hungover or tipsy or drunk. On anything, but most importantly - on a feeling. Oh the horror.