Monday 13 April 2015

"THERE IS A WAR COMING"


I know Nick Cave won’t play this song in a month or so when I see him live in Moscow, but if (for whatever reason) he does – there will be at least one person in the audience on the verge of a music-related heart attack. Because that is what “Hiding All Away” does to me, after all these years of listening to Abattoir Blues/Lyre Of Orpheus (if ever you needed proof of what a great songwriter this man is).

Obviously I’m talking about that heart-stopping moment following the five-minute mark (5:10, to be exact), when the already brilliant song turns into… ah but you have to hear it for yourself. The anthemic power of “There She Goes My Beautiful World” or the heartbreaking beauty of “O Children” – nothing could come close to the glorious insanity of that chant. 

Live, this could single-handedly turn Russia into God-fearing democracy.